Tourism industry stalwart and CEO of Connecting Southern Gold Coast (CSGC), Peter Doggett, has announced his retirement, effective from 22 February, 2019.
Mr Doggett’s career in tourism spanned four decades, with more than 30 years in the Gold Coast’s theme park and hotel industry, where he held senior management positions with Warner Village Theme Parks and Sea World Resort in the areas of communications, business development, relationship management and international marketing.
His contribution to the growth of the Gold Coast’s tourism industry through the 1980s and 1990s has been recognised extensively throughout the industry. He is as an Honorary Life Member of Gold Coast Tourism and the Australian Tourism Export Council (ATEC), and held a position on the Board of the Australian Tourist Commission (now Tourism Australia) from 1995 – 1999.
His other tourism achievements include:
- Pioneered the international markets of South Korea and Taiwan post early engagement in Japan in 1985
- The longest serving elected Board Member of Gold Coast Tourism with 21 years, incl. 4 years as Deputy Chair and 2 terms as Chair (2005 – 2007)
- Was the former Chair of the Federal Minister for Tourism’s “Korea Action Plan Implementation Group” (KAPIG) in July 2005 – November 2007, given his long association with the market
- Founded the Skal International – Southern Gold Coast Branch in March 2014. Has been a member of Skal since 1983. (Skal is an international tourism and Travel networking group with 87 countries and 400 Clubs
- Former Judge at the QLD Tourism Awards (3 years)
- Has served on the Tourism Advisory Boards of Bond, Griffith and Southern Cross Universities (current Chair of the latter)
- In 1993 was appointed Hon Tourism Ambassador by Gold Coast City Council on behalf of the City with Kanagawa Prefecture (Japan) and Taipei (ROC Taiwan)
- Actively participated in Griffith University's Student Monitoring Program (1999 – 2009)
- Has been a Justice of the Peace/Commissioner for Declarations since 1972
He has also been the recipient of the following awards:
- 2008 – Awarded Hon Life Membership of Gold Coast Tourism
- 2004 – Awarded the “Korea Tourism Award” for services to the Korean market
- 1998 – QLD Tourism Award (The Marie Watson Blake Award for Outstanding Contribution by an Individual)
- 1993 – Team Australia “Koala Award” for excellence in Asean Marketing (Warner Brother Movie World)
- 1990 – The Gold Coast Tourism Award for services to marketing the Gold Coast destination
- 1989 – Inbound Tourism Organisation of Australia (ITOA) “Award for Outstanding Services and Contribution to Australian Tourism”
Mr Doggett has headed up CSGC for the past six years, overseeing the growth of the Southern Gold Coast as a destination, building small business capacity, expanding the region’s event calendar and taking over management of the iconic Cooly Rocks On™ Festival in 2017.
He also served as a member of the Commonwealth Games 2018 Joint Marketing Committee from 2014 – 2018 and is a Director of the Bleached Arts Board.
Division 14 Councillor Gail O’Neill paid tribute to Mr Doggett’s commitment and huge efforts over the last six years in contributing to the region’s growth in economic development and recognition as a prime tourism destination. “His support and promotion of successful events for Southern Gold Coast has certainly been one of his many achievements,” said Cr O’Neill.
“Peter you will be missed by many Southern Gold Coasters, especially those in our business community. I am sure that they, along with myself thank you and wish you a very happy and long retirement.”
CSGC Chair, Greg Jenke, also added his appreciation on behalf of the CSGC board for the important role played by Mr Doggett and said his legacy would have a positive impact on the Southern Gold Coast for years to come.