Coolangatta was buzzing with Christmas spirit on Sunday 9 December at the annual Coolangatta Christmas Carols, with an estimated 7,000 people turning out to enjoy the perfect weather under our Southern Gold Coast skies.
Families, locals and visitors to the Southern Gold Coast came out in droves for an evening of Christmas tunes led by local groups and Melbourne's iconic Denis Walter. The night was filled with magical Christmas performances along with skydiving Santa’s grand entrance, free face painting and a jumping castle for the kids and a spectacular fireworks finale.
The crowds were welcomed by our Division 14 Councillor Gail O'Neill, while Bridge and Spida from GOLD 92.5 joined Santa on stage following his safe landing on Coolangatta Beach. A big thank you to host Jessica Skarratt for keeping the night running smoothly.
For the second year running we were proud to deliver a plastic bottle-free event. City of Gold Coast gave away 1,000 free reusable water bottles and patrons took advantage of the water refill stations that were available to fill their own bottle. This activity saved 1085 plastic water bottles from landfill, a significant improvement on last years 700.
All in all it was a fantastic event, with great support and feedback from the Coolangatta and wider Southern Gold Coast community.
The Coolangatta Christmas Carols were presented by Connecting Southern Gold Coast and City of Gold Coast Division 14 Cr Gail O'Neill and supported by:
- Major Sponsors - Gold Coast Airport and RBR Property Consultants
- Corporate Sponsors - Greater Southern Gold Coast Chamber of Commerce and Zambreros
- Accommodation Sponsors - Blue C Apartments Coolangatta
- Charity Partners – Salvation Army and Rotary Club of Currumbin Coolangatta Tweed Inc
- Supporters - Vege Chips, Timezone Coolangatta and Gold Coast Skydive
- Media Sponsor – Gold 92.5FM
- Face Painting Sponsor – The Coolangatta Hotel
- Jumping Castle Sponsor - Ocean Plaza Resort
Photography Credit: Freshcoat Creative